Sunday, May 1, 2016

Update 5/1/16: "Dr. Heartwell" Animation Preview and Short Hiatus

"Two weeks without a blog post? Is he slacking off?"

It's been a bit over two weeks since I've posted anything, so I thought I'd address that (first). Since I only attend my internship once a week- on Fridays- these posts are totally contingent on me being able to go on that specific day, from 6:50 am to around 11:00 am. So, for the past two Fridays, scheduling conflicts have come up that have prevented me from going. Dr. Nguyen has his occasional business trips, and I have school. I'll almost definitely have a post for this upcoming Friday, but it's too early to tell what I'll be doing if I go; I'm hoping for a case, but Dr. Nguyen could very well have valve conference that morning. There's one surgery that I'm just dying to see, which is a VSARR (Valve-Sparing Aortic Root Replacement)- I talked about it a while ago in a detailed post, but I missed the last one that Dr. Nguyen performed (at least to my knowledge). I won't explain it here, as that would be...long, but what's being done in that surgery is nothing short of incredible. Not to mention the cool name. I'm definitely going to try to see one.

On to more important things, the gang and I have been patiently awaiting updates from our animator about progress on the Dr. Heartwell project. I've had a look at what's been created, and I'm really impressed with how far our basic ideas have come. We started this a few months ago with some simple goals- all we had to show for it was a few pages of rough pencil storyboard sketches and some Microsoft Word documents full of notes. It is quickly starting to unfold as something tangible, something ready to be shown to others with satisfaction; that's why I'd like to give a quick sample of the animation on this blog post. Its creation process has been a really unique experience for me, and it isn't comparable to any sort of work I've done in the past. It's grounded in the real world, but goes far past volunteer service, as I'm working with professionals from various fields to get it done. It'll definitely stand as the best group project of my high school career- too bad I'm not getting graded on it.

P.S., please tell me if the video isn't working.








1 comment:

  1. Who needs grades on a project when you have direct community impact on thousands of lives who will be educated and changed by this video and the others to follow. Kudos to you and the team!

    ReplyDelete